Actor, director and acting professor at ESAD-Valencia.
My name is Vicente Genovés, and I was born in Spain in 1959. I made my theatrical debut at the age of seventeen, and from then on I just knew this would be my profession as an actor and director, not to mention a teacher. I began studying teacher’s training at university which I later gave up in favour of the dramatic arts; nevertheless, I never lost my teaching vocation.
Mind you, there are times when I feel this profession chose me, rather than the other way round. Why? Well, because I adore interpretation in all its different facets. I love to combine styles, methodologies and disciplines; which I am extremely dedicated and become heavily involved in both my classes and direction tasks.
When it comes to accepting a project, the most attractive part for me is the artistic project, which captures and envelopes me in its challenges. Ever since I began in this profession I have had the good fortune to be able to work with great actors, directors, technicians and creative talents. Moreover, I have learnt the foundations of my trade working with acknowledged masters of both the national and international stage.
Everything they have taught or the knowledge conveyed is as if it were a legacy to be treated with humbleness and respect. The reflection of each and every one of these masters stares back at me in each and every one of the projects I undertake.
Whenever I have free time on my hands, I practise and polish new techniques with which to enrich my work. In addition, I take time out to meditate, do exercise and recharge my energy in contact with mother nature, to find my balance, mull things over not to mention seek inspiration.
I love animals with a passion and thanks to them I continually discover new things about myself. One of my favourite hobbies, and one which I thoroughly recommend to everyone, is to contact with Mother Nature, ride my horse and lose myself with dog among the mountains. Without a shadow of doubt, my favourite therapy.
"The world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players."
Sports: fencing, horse-riding, archery and Tai-chi
Languages: English, French, Italian, Catalan and Spanish
Graduated from Valencia School of Drama (Spain) he has played a wide variety of roles on stage, TV and movies, and directed theatrical pieces by some of the most well-known playwrights.
As an actor, Genoves has appeared in a number of successful television soap operas in Spain like:
· El reino
· Federica Monseny, La dona que parla.
· Alquería Blanca.
· Cuéntame (Cap. 320).
· Cuerpo a la carta.
· Vidas robadas.
· Arroz y Tartana.
· Hospital Central.
· La ley y la vida.
· El secreto de la porcelana.
· Herencia de sang.
· Bon dia Bonica.
· Altra oportunitat.
· Matrimonis i Patrimonis.
His filmography includes works with important directors like:
Rodrigo Sorogoyen: El reino
Daniel Calparsoro: 100 años de perdón
Mario Camus, in Amor Propio
Luis García Berlanga, in Todos a la cárcel
José Luis García Sánchez in La noche más larga
He has also taken part in many stage productions like:
Carmen by Bizet,(Lilas Pastia) directed by Carlos Saura.
Estelles per les teulades which received the Cartelera Turia Award in 2004.
Top Dogs by Urs Widner, directed by Mario Gas.
The secretary by Natalia Ginzburg, directed by Maria Ruiz.
Trevelez lady by Carlos Arniches, directed by John Strasberg.
Flor de Otoño by José María Rodriguez Méndez, directed by Antonio Díaz Zamora.
The best known plays of his notable career as a director are:
· Els Nuvis de Adrián Novella.
· La Hostalera de Carlo Goldoni.
· La Viuda Valenciana (The Valencian Widow) by Lope de Vega.
· The Maidens’ Consent by Leandro Fernández de Moratín.
· Abraham and Samuel by Victor Haïm. (Arcipreste de Hita Best Director Award in 1997)
· The Barber of Seville by Rossini.
· Barionà or the Son of Thunder by Jean Paul Sartre.
· Infinities by John Barrow, a Luca Ronconi project (Piccolo Teatro di Milano) in coproduction with Generalitat Valenciana.
· La Madrileña o el tutor burlado by Vicente Martin y Soler.
· Las arrecogías del Beaterio de Santa María Egipcíaca (The Lovers of St. Mary of Egypt’s Beguinage) by José Martín Recuerda.
· Eduard Escalante, 100 anys de teatre valenciá. Received the City of Valencia Critique Award for Best Director.
· Magnetic Love.
· Timon of Athens and As you like it by William Shakespeare.
· The Carnival of Animals, in concert by Camile Saint Saëns.
· Frenzy for Two or More by Eugene Ionesco.
· The project “Pessoa en persona”, including:
· The Seafarer by Pessoa
· A Call For Pirandello by Antonio Tabucchi